Friday, July 20, 2007

We're all OBHWF

Oh, you think you can scare me? Well check this out: it's not just any old random MSR video, it's MSR defined.

I'm going to take this moment to declare victory, because I was beating the "don't make the movie part of the mytharc" drum before the first one came out. Finally, Chris Carter decides to listen to me.

I did have something amazing to post, and I almost posted it before I realized that this is Potters Eve, the night before HP 7 is released, and the whole world learns the fate of the boy wizard.

...except, whoops! It already has.

In anticipation of the release of Harry Potter 7, publisher Bloomsbury (and US partner Scholastic) paid beaucoup des bucks on security and refused to send advance copies out for review. I guess you can't buy everything, because there's been a set of digital photos of each page of the book floating around online for the past week. Plus, the Baltimore Sun and the New York Times were able to get their hands on "commercially available" copies and promptly published reviews.

JKR is spitting mad:

"I am staggered that some American newspapers have decided to publish purported spoilers in the form of reviews in complete disregard of the wishes of literally millions of readers, particularly children," she said.


On the one hand, I get it. Your day of jubilee has been pre-empted. On the other: how many of these children read NY Times book reviews? And on a third hand: who reads a review without expecting that some aspects of the story won't be revealed?

Nonetheless, the Times has received so much hatemail for the review, the public editor felt it necessary to respond.

Not to be outdone by a bunch of raving internet loons, a Bloomsbury spokeswoman makes a hilariously beautiful comparison of the breach to the Boston Tea Party:

[A Bloomsbury spokeswoman] likened the events in the United States to the Boston Tea Party, a 1773 protest by American colonists against Britain.

"But over here it is blockades as usual, with the embargo being enforced unflinchingly and without exception by all our customers," she said.


There's a part of me that's interested to see if there are any legal or economic consequences for anyone involved. But, there's a much bigger part of me that thinks THIS IS SO FREAKING AWESOME

No comments: